Quick link to our sequence of word problems, as updated in the Fall 2016
- Welcome to our T4F journey
- Problem 1 – Walking along a pond
- Problem 2 – Gardening
- Problem 3 – Baskets of eggs
- Problem 4 – Making toys
- Problem 5 – Peg dolls
- Problem 6 – Stacking blocks
- Problem 7 – Reviewing with buttons
- Problem 8 – Sharing sheets of paper
- Problem 9 – Sharing bananas
- Problem 10 – Sharing apples
- Problem 11 – Sharing modeling clay
- Problem 12 – Sharing cereal bars
About our Time 4 Fractions journey
“Time 4 Fractions” is a home-journey of exploring fractions, encouraging children’s mathematical thinking and math discussion. A peaceful journey I did with my daughter, first when she was in 1st grade, then again when she was in 2nd grade. In the Fall 2017, we will take the journey again ! Each of the word problems can be explored from K to 5th grade.
I was inspired by the Cognitively Guided Instruction (Carpenter et al., 2014), and the exploration of fractions through Equal Sharing problems (Empson & Levi, 2011). For 12 weeks, I invited my child to solve a problem in “a way that makes sense to her”, and share her reasoning out loud. For 12 weeks, I posted my experience as a parent listening to her.
I am always astounded by how much I learn following my child’s way of thinking, and how much she seems to enjoy exploring a problem, taking her time, changing the set of numbers, using a variety of manipulatives or drawing a picture, and sharing what she does. Away from peer pressure, and time pressure. I just hope you and your child find the same joy as we did during our “Time 4 Fractions” journey.
Have fun !
- Carpenter, T., Fennema, E., Franke, M., Levi, L. and Empson S. (2014). Children’s Mathematics, Second Edition: Cognitively Guided Instruction. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann. ISBN-13:978-0325052878.
- Empson, S. E., and Levi, L. (2011). Extending Children’s Mathematics: Fractions and Decimals. Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann. ISBN-13: 978-0325030531.